Are you tired of wrestling with Word every time you have to draft something more complex than a letter? Do you wish you could control Word’s formatting and gain a better understanding of how it works? Do you miss WordPerfect? If the answer to any of these questions is yes, this is your class! Word classes designed for the general public just don’t address the issues legal professionals face when drafting legal instruments. By contrast, this class is designed by lawyers, for lawyers.
BRING YOUR LAPTOP if you would like to follow along! Sample documents will be available for download in advance so you may follow along in class. Seminar will be taught using Word 2016. The course materials will work with Word 2007, 2010, 2013 & 2016 for Windows.
Are you a Mac user?
Please let us know ahead of time. We can send you a Word for Mac manual so you may follow along. Word for Windows and Word for Mac have different interfaces, but they are capable of most of the same things with some exceptions.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING:
“One of the best seminars ever! Barron is knowledgeable and entertaining. This seminar will change your word processing life!”
“I love this guy! Why? 1) the content is directly relative to my practice; 2) there were very helpful skills — well documented’ 3) energetic presentation.”
“Excellent!! First Word training that I’ve been to that I’ve left feeling like, now I get it!”
“Very clear explanations, strong knowledge of the subject, entertaining speaker and knows his law audience.
Wish I’d taken it 10-years ago!”
“If I remember 1/3 of the information, I’m ahead of the game and my firm got more than their money’s worth.”
Word Formatting Fundamentals
* Modifying Word’s defaults for use in a law firm or legal department
* Tips and tricks for navigating long legal documents
* Building clause libraries using AutoText and Quick Parts
* Automatic paragraph numbering
* Indents and tabs
* Getting the formatting to do exactly what you want
Advanced Legal Document Topics
* Headers and footers
* Page numbering
* Automatically updating paragraph cross-references
* Endnotes and footnotes
* Automatic table of contents
* Automatic table of authorities
Tools & Techniques for Negotiating & Revising Documents
* Document collaboration
* How to ensure all changes are caught – producing a redline
* How to consolidate proposed changed from many people into a single document
* How to handle multiple versions and avoid confusion
* How to protect confidentiality
* Locking down a document to protect against further changes
* Indicating proposed changes on a Word document, a PDF and paper – track changes and other techniques
Styles: If You Don’t Control Them, They Will Control You
* Eliminate random font changes while editing
* Copy text from one document to another with perfect formatting
* De-construct and fix documents which are a complete mess
* Convert WordPerfect files to Word
* Create custom formatting tools you can use in every document
Using Templates to Streamline Your Document Generation
* Create model documents with fill-in fields
* How to create “public” templates and share them with others on your network
Macros: Automate Your Word Processing
* Macros – what they are and when to use them
* Other automation tools in Word – AutoText, AutoCorrect & Quick Parts
* Creating and sharing macros
* Assign macros to toolbar buttons and/or speed-keys
Barron K. Henley, Esq.
Partner, Affinity Consulting Group, Columbus, OH
6 CLE (NLS) – Wednesday, April 13, 9:00 A.M. – 4:30 P.M.
LIVE GROUP WEBCASTS