Internet-related crime, like any other crime, should be reported to appropriate law enforcement investigative authorities at the local, state, federal, or international levels, depending on the scope of the crime. Citizens who are aware of federal crimes should report them to local offices of federal law enforcement.
A guide to reporting intellectual property crime:
|Type of Crime||Appropriate federal investigative law enforcement agencies|
(e.g., software, movie, sound recordings)
|Theft of trade secrets/Economic Espionage|
The U.S. Department of Justice has also produced a guide, “Reporting Intellectual Property Crime: A Guide for Victims of Counterfeiting, Copyright Infringement, and Theft of Trade Secrets,” available as a PDF file. This guide is contained in Appendix C of the Report of the Department of Justice’s Intellectual Property Task Force (October 2004). The guide also contains the following checklists for reporting intellectual property crime to law enforcement:
Other government initiatives to combat cybercrime include:
The IPR Coordination Center’s responsibilities include:
- Coordinating U.S. government domestic and international law enforcement activities involving IPR issues.
- Serving as a collection point for intelligence provided by private industry, as well as a channel for law enforcement to obtain cooperation from private industry (in specific law enforcement situations).
- Integrating domestic and international law enforcement intelligence with private industry information relating to IPR crime, and disseminating IPR intelligence for appropriate investigative and tactical use.
- Developing enhanced investigative, intelligence and interdiction capabilities.
- Serving as a point of contact regarding IPR law enforcement related issues.
The stopfakes.gov website provides information to consumers and businesses on intellectual property, including information on how to report trade in fake goods.
Those with specific information regarding intellectual property crime can submit an IPR Coordination Center Complaint Referral Form.
Overhauser Law Offices, LLC provides intellectual property services including patents, trademarks, copyrights and infringement litigation. Whether you’re an entrepreneur launching your first invention or a corporation looking for a litigation specialist, we have the legal experience to meet your goals.